Our Seasonal Autumn Smudge is available now until October (because it sells fast). Our formula here at Elder Mountain is locally hand collected and dried seasonally all summer in small batches. Each bag of nature’s natural herbs and wild flowers have been hand picked in the mountains, on our land and cured and dried to enrich your prayer rites, altar work, clearing negativity in spaces, dreaming purification smudges or your magical soul up-lifter.
You can use the folk smudge as a smudge, a flower bath or a tea. They are also Moon Charmed in the Slavic Tradition on the full moon for a little extra blessings of energy. Each year we have different offerings depending upon the season of collecting and what we collect:
FOLK SMUDGE LIST
“Folk Smudge” list below varies each year, sometimes there are four ingredients, sometimes eight or nine. We suggest using the smudge in a bowl with a charcoal disk and buying regular white sage to triple your bag because its a dense smudge. All bags are blessed on the full moons by our dream shaman. All items are organic. Some years vary, containing one and not the other, depending upon nature…
1. Lavender flowers (Lavandula officinalis) is very versatile, its used in purification, love spells and attraction sachets. Also burning lavender induces a peaceful sleep. Scattered around the home, lavender smudge (without even being burned), helps clear the atmosphere for peace and serenity.
2. Pine & Cedar needles and wood shavings – Pine is one of the most abundant trees in the Northwest and we respect each tree and gather fallen branches from storms etc. It is an ancient goddess medicinal trees, each part of the tree has nourishment, protection and cleansing. The pine and cedar wood chips (pieces) also add fuel to your magical or sacred burning bowl.
3. Mugwort – Home grown and dried for dreaming, a very powerful herb and only small amounts should be used in any sort of ceremony to allow your mind, body and soul to process as it both enhances and clears dreaming and visioning spaces. I don’t ever suggest drinking it because you can get the same results from saches or folk smudge. Its an ancient herb that cleanses while it helps to temporarily open the intuitive perception in smudge/smoke forms.
4. Madwort Yellow Tuft (Alyssum murale) – This grows locally, and I had to do a lot of research on this native plant and only Harvard.edu had an old manuscript explaining its medicinal purposes. As an ancient’s medicinal herb it was used for purposes of madness and to alleviate rabid dog bites. As a smudge its used for creating calm, peace and groundedness which can sooth issues of anger or aggressiveness in one’s environment. Always remember that issues of such things must be healed much deeper, and a smudge or stone only adds the physical dedication to the issue and has mild mood changing effects that are mainly supportive. This plant grows wild in the Balkans of Romania, Albania and Turkey and made its way over to the US in our area which they call invasive but I am glad its here.
5. Juniper & Juniper Berries – We add juniper to our smudge and a few berries that are dried and picked around the summer solstice in the Mt Shasta area. I don’t like to take too much from nature, just enough so its a beneficial picking and why I do very small batches for Elder patrons. I pick have already fallen on the ground when gathered.
Magical uses are to burn them to clear spaces that have negativity and also used in ancient traditions to break hexes and curses, carried for anytime of protection against thefts, shadow roamers, tricksters and anything that influences negatively or drains one’s energy. In ancient times this was also burned in exorcism rites both pagan and religious. Here is our Juniper Article with folklore and medicinal traditions: https://wp.me/p6B4GV-7DL
6. Dried Roses – Home grown and dried organic rose petals adds sweetness and calm to the powerful mixture to keep a sense of peace and groundedness when doing your magic or healing sessions with others. A favorite of those who work with or are a priestess of the Goddess, especially Aphrodite and Venus. Photo of our Roses this summer…
7. Red Clover – Local on our land and dried. Northwest large red clover flower, good for coughs and colds, indigestion and asthma so its an excellent addition to burning bowl smudge as it purifies and cleans the air. (not available in 2018 batches)
8. Larkspur / Delphinium – Home grown and dried, as a smudge Larkspur it clears the spores in the air, and good also for asthma or breathing problems, its also prescribed against colic and irritations. As a tea its used to treat intestinal worms, fluid retention, poor appetite, and trouble sleeping (insomnia).
9 Hollyhock – Hollyhock is a soothing support for the gastrointestinal, respiratory, and urinary systems. It’s a popular addition to cough syrups, acting as an expectorant. Like its relative the hibiscus. Hollyhock is also a blossom tea good for inflammation of the genitourinary (reproductive and urinary) systems, especially mouth or throat. Topically, a poultice of leaves, flowers, or both can be just the thing for pulling out the sting of an insect bite or a stubborn splinter.
10. Hawthorn – Home picked and dried, Hawthorn dried leaves and berries used by the ancients were specifically for magical powers to ward off the evil souls and the shadows of people. The berries (also known as “Pixie Pears”) contain vitamins, Hawthorn along with Sage, is a double powerful smudge for protection.
11. St John’s Wort – Local wild St Johns Wort helps with depression and lifts the heaviness. In a smudge it has a lesser effect but can cleanse the home or space with purifying any negativity from depression causing energy.
12. White Sage – I add basic white sage to add protection and to enhance the burn quality because the Folk Smudge is a dense smudge (to be used with the round charcoal discs). I also added a brown sage from South America which is a very fine blend. (not available in 2018).
Seasonally dried and hung on an altar. Folk Sticks have up to three to all five items depending upon the year (nature): Mugwort, Lavender, Rosemary, Mint, Madwort. Good for smoking personal space or ritual uses, for healing, protection and healing around your dreaming space (bed). About 12 inches long. All items are organic and grow on the land here at Elder Mountain. Some years vary, containing one and not the other, depending upon nature.
1 Folk Smudge
2 Smudge Sticks
3 Raspberry and Blackberry Smudge Sticks
while the batches lasts and you can pre-order early if you wish.
1. LOOSE LEAF Folk Smudge $10 each (7×7 ziplock bag) + shipping.
Ingredients listed in this article, use with charcoal disks) + shipping.
2. FOLK Smudge Sticks $10 each + shipping.
Folk Sticks have Mugwort, Lavender, Rosemary, Mint, Madwort
3. RASPBERRY Smudge Sticks $9 + shipping.
Fresh picked and dried and tied.
5. BLACKBERRY Smudge Sticks $9 + shipping.
Fresh picked and dried and tied.
SHIPPING varies depending upon purchase
For 1 item $9 for shipping (for 2 add $12 shipping)
RASPBERRY Loose Leaf Tea $8.00 (7×7 ziplock bag).
Fresh picked and dried, local Mullein tea + shipping.
LOOSE LEAF “ROSE” Folk Smudge / Bath Flowers 9.00 each. (7×7 ziplock bag).
85% Dried Roses, 10% Sage, 5% Folk Smudge ingredients + shipping.
MULLEIN Loose Leaf Tea $9 (7×7 ziplock bag).
Fresh picked and dried, local Mullein tea or smudge + shipping.
Great for any respiratory issues.)